Understanding the Present - Launching the Future
The excitement of learning and the sharing of knowledge has been a hallmark of Roberta Bondar's career. While a new generation carries on her medical and scientific space research at American and Canadian universities and research institutions, even younger generations model themselves on her passionate quest, especially in six elementary schools bearing her name:
- Dr. Roberta Bondar Elementary School, Abbotsford, B.C.
- Roberta Bondar Public School, Ottawa, Ont.
- Dr. Roberta Bondar Public School, Ajax, Ont.
- Roberta Bondar Public School, Brampton, Ont.
- Dr. Roberta Bondar Public School, Vaughan, Ont.
- Dr. Roberta Bondar School, Calgary, Alta.
"Roberta Bondar set very high standards in terms of literacy, science and the arts. We are very excited to carry on her legacy."
Principal Paul Valle
Dr. Roberta Bondar Public School
Building on her scientific background and environmental educational work, the Ontario Minister of Education asked her to chair the Working Group for the Ontario Ministry of Education. This panel of experts called for recommendations for the development of an environmental education policy for Ontario schools. The Ministry adopted all 32 recommendations outlined in the report entitled Shaping Our Schools Shaping Our Future, Report of the Working Group on Environmental Education (June 2007).